I’ll start off with the good stuff. My son and I added nesting boxes to our chicken coop! This is something I’ve wanted to do for a while since this coop didn’t have a separate nesting area where the eggs would stay clean (AKA away from the roosting area).
This post is more of an update than DIY instructions, but I will point you in the direction of some great instructions for the project. There is a blog called Coop Thoughts and you can find their nesting box instructions by clicking HERE. They are very easy to follow, and the only supplies we bought were a sheet of plywood, some deck screws, and hinges. Below are a couple of pictures of the finished nesting box addition (before priming & painting). I really like this design because it will be very easy to clean out and access eggs.
Okay, now for the bad news. Just a couple of days after finishing the nesting box addition, I came home from work and looked out back and noticed something was wrong. I quickly put shoes back on and ran out to the chicken run. I found a couple of dead chickens. I looked around some more and found more and more dead chickens. All of them in the chicken run and coops were dead. The only surviving chicken was the one who flies out of the fenced area (despite her wing clipping) and roosts in a tree every night. Her rebellious nature saved her life.
I did find some paw prints, which look like they’re from a dog. The dog managed to find a seam in our fence and pulled it back enough to squeeze through. After doing the damage, it apparently couldn’t find its way back out until after several attempts to dig its way out.
It’s been a rough fall for us this year. We lost the pick-up truck (engine blew out), lost bees, and now lost chickens. I hope this is the end of our unlucky streak.